Earth's Climate & Climate Change
About the Learning Package
The Earth's Climate & Climate Change Learning Package provides an introduction to the fascinating climate system of the Earth and climate change, as well as discussions on climate communication. The learning package includes the board game ClimeOut and accompanying study material on the digital platform Snowflake Education Toolkit.
Teaching about climate change is challenging: the climate system is complex, future projections involve difficult discussions about probabilities, and the subject itself evokes emotions. Since many students are concerned about climate change, there is great value in discussing scientific information together with peers and translating the vocabulary for climate research into a language that the group is comfortable with. In this learning package, students learn more about how climate research can be communicated to the public, and they will also be able to practice explaining the scientific background of climate change (which is useful even for those who do not have a background in natural sciences).
The learning package consists of preparatory material (with video lectures, reflection tasks, and an assignment), a seminar (with the ClimeOut board game, ready-made PowerPoint files, and teacher instructions), and a follow-up assignment (an assignment that challenges students to link the generic learning in the preparatory assignment and game seminar to their own subject area).
If the entire package is used, the self-study takes approximately 5 hours for the student, seminar material for 3 hours of seminar time is included, and the follow-up assignment takes up to approximately 5 hours for the student. The entire learning package is intended to correspond to approximately 0.5 credits in the European HE system (~12-13 hours of study), but the material can be used flexibly, and additional or removed material can be added.
The learning package was originally developed for higher education and the material is suitable for an introduction to the climate issue at both basic and advanced levels. However, with only minor modifications, it is also excellent for both high school and doctoral level as well as within professional training.
- In the Earth's Climate & Climate Change Learning Package, the following is included:
- Access to Snowflake Education Toolkit, our digital platform with video lectures, reflection assignments, and homework that can be assigned to your students as preparation before the seminar, and as follow-up assignments after the seminar.
- PowerPoint files to facilitate the game seminar.
- Instructor's guide, which helps you set up the homework and conduct the seminar.
- The board game ClimeOut, which increases participants' understanding of climate change - in an engaging, inspiring, and fun way. In the game, teams compete to remove as much greenhouse gases from the atmosphere as possible. Teams challenge each other in duels, and the winner of each duel gets to remove a number of greenhouse gas tokens from the game board. There are three types of duels: (1) the question: fact-based climate-related questions; (2) the word: a duel about who is the fastest to explain climate-related words to their teammate; and (3) the puzzle: who is the fastest to solve a climate-related puzzle?
- A digital version of the ClimeOut board game that can be used with an unlimited number of students simultaneously.
Order the Earth's Climate & Climate Change Learning Package!
Price: 1,997 USD